Sunday, March 8, 2009

In the light

The sun is out in glorious fashion, lighting up the mountains and the fields. The play of bright light and shadows on the snow it truly fantastic. At times this week has felt Spring-like with alternating days of melting and mild frost. We better not get our hopes up too much yet.

Last week Friday Wilma and I were in Terrace for the day. I’ve had a problem with Tinnitus for a number of years but always something that I have been able to ignore. Blame it on stress and it sort of goes away with a good sleep. Lately the noises have become more pronounced and bothersome. I had a CT scan in the morning to see whether there are any physical reasons for this. In the afternoon I visited a hearing clinic. The hearing tests didn’t answer anything regarding the Tinnitus. They just concluded some minor hearing loss in one ear. (The rest I couldn’t hear J ) This week I will check with the local doctor what the results are.

Wilma left for Anchor Academy in Salmon Arm on Wednesday morning. She had a good time working with some of her colleagues doing the FSA test marking. After that she traveled to Kelowna to spend a bit of time with Judith and Jonathan. All of them really enjoyed that. In the mean time Ian and I had a guy household that was very practical but not half as homey as usual. We had fun though, did quite a few things together, including having a dinner at Boston Pizza. We felt this was the right time to try that place out. We learned that they have a great Steak Sandwich and Cipota Chicken Sandwich.

Wednesday night we had a neighbour at the door. He very reluctantly shared that his little dog got attacked and was badly injured around the time that he saw our dog Sabre and a black Lab coming down his driveway. He had some photos of the little dog in pretty bad shape and blood all over the snow on his driveway. Together we went to check Sabre to see if there was any evidence of blood on him. We didn’t find any. Sabre has been obedient and very friendly for the last months so the possibility of this kind of aggression was quite a shock. Ian was pretty depressed listening to the story. The neighbour had taken the dog to the vet and then to the animal clinic where they had to do some operations to fix him up. Realizing that Sabre at times does venture out and goes exploring in neighbours’ properties where he has no business going I assured the neighbour that we would do right by him and help out with the vets bills. We have kept Sabre on the chain since except for the times we can take him out for a walk.

Sometime after this event the neighbour phoned us apologetically saying he had begun to realize that it was not our dog he had seen on his yard that time. Whatever it was that convinced him but he wanted us to know that it wasn’t Sabre and not to worry about it. Well, for Ian that was the greatest relief and for me too off course. The thought of an aggressive streak in your dog isn’t great and the prospect of vet bills was not appealing either. I sure hope the neighbour finds out how it happened and that all will be well.

Wilma came back home on Friday night. Her sore back is still not completely fixed. She had put out her back muscles over a week ago and there were some days that she was in real pain. Even today there were some times that getting up and down seemed painful. She is a bit concerned that it will still be with her next week-end when we drive to the Fraser Valley.

Last weekend we started to lose water pressure from our tank, then the water began to turn murky. One of the local expert plumbers concluded that there must be a loose connection between the pump and the waterline. He opened the well to check it out. Fortunately it is a shallow well of only about 25 feet. He found that the coupling connecting the pump to the line had sprung a hole. He replaced that and we are back to good water. It was a blessing that the temperatures were around zero. A minus 35 day would have made that job impossible.

We’ve been talking about building a garage and workshop near the house. On Thursday I’ll have one of the local builders over for some advise and planning. Wilma and I are hoping that we can have some construction happening as soon as the snow clears.

We have one week of school to go before the Spring break. We are so looking forward to that. That weekend we’ll be in the Fraser Valley, then Wilma and I fly to Ottawa to visit Kristen. Yippee!!

No comments: