Sunday, October 18, 2009

Thanksgiving and subsequent surprise.

Read on-line I Photos I Subscribe


The half week in the Fraser Valley was wonderful. The trip up was smooth and uneventful.
It was nice that we could stay with Mary for a while.
The convention was very good. I pretty well enjoyed every workshop and plenary session I went to. Catching up with friends and colleagues is always a great thing too.

Wilma and I were really happy that we could visit Tim in his new place in Burnaby. Seeing first hand is important to parents, I guess; a sense of confirmation that all is well.
Family time at thanksgiving is always a highlight. No photos of pear picking this time, though that certainly happened. I am learning that traditions have their own power. While the family get-together had nothing remarkable to it in and of itself, yet the predictability and familiarity of the place and routines create something that is steady and reliable and untimely.
Our time at Crescent Beach with Tim, Judith and Jonathan had a similar feel.
There was indeed so much reason for thanksgiving.
God proves faithful in the way he cares for everyone. A year goes by and, while we all experience our setbacks and doubts and troubles of various degrees, we recognize that God shields us and directs us. A year later we can celebrate thanksgiving much as we did a year before.

The drive home was beautiful. The fall colours and expanse of the land were just a pleasure. The fact that the roads were quiet really helped too. We were home in less than 12 hours. We didn't even speed - seeing nine cars pulled over and ticketed helps to keep a light foot.


We came home to clear skies and below 0 degrees weather. Tuesday night brought a surprise: a light snow fall that turned everything temporarily white. It was enough to emphasize the urgency to get things ready for winter.
That's what we were working on yesterday. I nailed shingles on the doghouse roof till I ran out. That surprised me too. I thought for sure that the two and a half package I had left over would do me fine. Now I have to get another and finish that during the week. I put a raised floor in as well so that I can finish the inside walls.
Then we climbed on the roof of the house to inspect the chimney. All was well, so we had our first wood stove fire of the season that evening.

No comments: