Sunday, November 8, 2009

One year at Kidd Road



Read on-line I Photos I Subscribe
Can you believe that this is blog 50?

I had a look back over the blogs of the last year and some.
Interesting reading indeed. Evidence, if nothing else, of God's faithfulness. This morning we read Romans 8: "God makes all things work for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." This has been proven very true in our experiences.
It was a year ago that we moved to our Kidd Road home. It seems a lot longer. So much has happened.
The blogs, no doubt emphasize the things done and experienced but less so the way we have felt about it.

I think we can summarize it by saying that we feel a strong sense of gratitude.
We frequently remark to each other how good we have it, how much we enjoy a sense of peace and tranquility. Having space and being more closely in touch with the things that happen in nature around you probably creates a better awareness of context and dependence. For example, doing a lot of work to get ready for winter has given the satisfaction of achievement. Yet, watching the seasonal changes gives less reason to think of ourselves as self-styled achievers and more as cautious dependents.

It is a good place to be. Home is a haven, a refuge.

Of course, the thing missing is close family.
Having started here with the three of us gives it a sense of normalcy to have dinner for three, yet, it would be so much more complete to have the whole family here more frequently. Skype is a wonderful tool to bring you closer and we are thankful for the regularity with which you call and Skype and email. I think that is even more significant for mom. She treasures the times during the day that she can chat for a while.  



The 'blog 50 photos' let on to some of the events of the last weeks. We had some snow for a few days. The temperatures are generally above zero so it all melted off in time.
Sabre now has a near castle' for shelter. The roof shingles are on. It is closed in on three sides to block out the wind. Those walls also help eliminate noises from passing animals that just make him bark at all hours of the night. The fenced in area functions as a kennel. He is very content with it all and it is very convenient for us.

All the extra lumber is cleaned up from the yard and brought under shelter in the car port. So is the trailer. It is out of the snow and wind and it can even be plugged in for unexpected habitation. Not that that would be very attractive once the real cold hits.
All of the wood from the trees that we cut down is now piled and covered.
This week we had some assistance moving the freezer out of the mud room in the house to the garage. Yesterday I organized that whole garage space. I moved out the remaining pieces of Hardy board and nailed those in place over the garage doors. Now that part is finished too. Pretty nice to have it done.

I followed the advice several people gave me and installed a heat wire on the cricket sloop of the garage roof and down the cutter and down spout. The fear is that water runoff will freeze and back up with the chance that it gets under the shingles and the ice will do damage. This way there will always be a section that is melted and open to carry off excess water.

I hope to be in the Fraser Valley on Friday. I will attend a SCSBV focus day looking at the place of Distributed Learning programs in today's school structures. Seeing that BVCS has the only DL school in the SCSBC movement we are probably in a position to help other schools see the value of participating in a Christian School application of the DL model.
Hopefully I will have a chance to catch up with Tim on Thursday afternoon.

No comments: