Sunday, November 14, 2010

Blog 67


Remembrance Day Weekend.

Remembrance Day was a welcome break.
We stood in town at the cenotaph Thursday morning. While the band played 'Abide with Me' and various people and groups laid wreaths, the first snow started to fall gently. It was quite pretty, really.

We had a few cold days there, but then it all thawed again. That allowed us a chance to finish some outside work. All the firewood is done. On Thursday afternoon I returned the scaffolding that we borrowed for a long time. All the high up work on the house is done - window trim, corner finish, and soffits. It was rather satisfying to see it completed before major cold or snow. Just the trim on two more windows on the ground level.

Mom did some classy painting in the little entry hallway. We had plaster texture ready on those wall forever. Once I got the door and window mouldings on Mom gave it a nice finish. (O, look, there is Judith's frog).

I came across some surprise flooring for the studio. I arrived at the lumberyard just as the guys in the back had picked up a bunch of laminate flooring packs that had fallen off the rack and gotten slightly damaged. Since they couldn't sell it anymore they offered the lot to me for a case of beer. I wouldn't have gone for laminate flooring otherwise but this seemed a good solution for a studio floor.

We had postponed getting winter tires for the truck too long already. I had to face the music. I found some fancy regular sized rims on sale to replace the large wheels that I use in the summer.

When we pulled the fountain out of the pond ahead of the frost I found some interesting teeth marks. With a close look at the power cord to the pump you'll see that the muskrat that lives in our pond must have had a try at it. The thing came so close to electrocuting itself.

Ian is just finishing a 'media free week'. Here's done well staying away from TV programs, computer games, music, etc. but it was not easy. He really did want to see the Canucks play Toronto. We did get more games in. He read more, wrote more on his story  / book, and chopped more wood. All good stuff.
No will the realization of media dependency last?

It's going to be a busy week. Five weeks to go to the Christmas holiday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great to read the updates :-)

I finally had a chance to hold little Ella.....what a cutie!

ck