Saturday, November 22, 2008

House warming

We invited the friends and colleagues who helped us move all our things from the Horlings Road rental house to our new home on Kidd Road. Kristen had alerted me to the idea of a dress code that would reflect the idea of warming up.
We had a wonderful evening with much laughter and good food; ask Wilma about the eggnog coffee recipe. After almost 4 months in Smithers and just a few weeks in our new home this was a bit of a confirmation of how much we are already settled in the community. We are very thankful for that and we enjoy the friendships and community spirit.
Our new wood stove was installed on Friday. We'll start using it in a few days after we have passed installation inspection. We're quite looking forward to this. The temperatures are below zero most of the time but nothing extreme. The gas furnace keeps kicking in noisily and blowing hot air. It will be nice to switch to radiated heat. We have 2 piles of seasoned wood ready to go. They tell us that will get us a good way through the winter. A 70-some year old gentleman told me that he would fell a few more bug wood trees for us and cut them up to get them to our place for the late winter supply ... no kidding !! He is a tad taller and probably a whole lot stronger and fitter that I am.
When Wilma and Grandma get a chance they sit down for a game of Scrabble. Ian joins in once in a while. Last week when John and Betty Siebenga were here they almost got me to play too yet. I escaped by a hair... one must hold on to principles.
It snows off and on every day. On Saturday I had to remove a lot from the top of the trailer. I still didn't finish the roof contraption I was aiming to put on top. Maybe this week. 
I went to watch the grade 8 girls volleyball team win gold in their zone play-offs. Our Senior Boys team made it to the finals of the Provincial championships in Victoria. I haven't heard yet if they won or not.
Four and half weeks to Christmas, three and a half weeks to Amy and Tim arriving here. Kristen, Judith and Jonathan will follow shortly after. We can't wait.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great! It looks like it was a nice evening.
I'm really looking forward to our visit, too. And some games of Scrabble!
The wood stove looks so cozy! I really miss having a fireplace! What a great place to have some coffee and a good book!

kv said...

LOL!! Love the photos!! So glad that we were able to inspire you to bring in the season in style (sort of...)

Tim VanderHoek said...

man, white christmas here we come. wood stoves for the win.