Sunday, April 26, 2009

Ice jambs, floods, and the Bulkley River

- Photos- Before leaving Vancouver on Friday evening I heard that there were situations of flooding caused by ice jambs between Houston and Smithers. Flying over on our approach to the Smithers airport we could see the ice pile ups near Telkwa. The Bulkley River in and around Smithers was open and the melting water was freely flowing.
On my walk with the dog on Saturday morning I found a different scene. The ice had created jambs a few kilometers south from our place, causing the water to divert though farm land and flooding some yards and roads. A number of people had to be evacuated from their homes. I saw the water entering back into the river bed at the slough near the fields where we usually walk. It was quite a torrent coming through.
I took the enclosed photos a few hours later.
The jamb had broken up. The river was flowing freely, be it with ice and debris moving along at rapid speed.
At one point Sabre ended up in the river. I'm still not sure if he jumped or if the side caved in. I could drag him out by the collar before he got into faster moving water.
Today the river was just fine. The flooded areas had pretty near completely dried up.
The fact that we were largely unaware of the trouble while it happened was a bit of confirmation that our home is indeed on higher and drier ground.

No comments: