- Read North Adventures online at http://northadventures.blogspot.com
- See this week's photos
After a long cool spell the summer heat has hit. A number of days of around 33 degrees C. in the afternoon under blue skies makes everything catch up so fast you can almost see the greenery grow. Wilma's garden is growing faster than she can keep up with. The raspberries and rhubarb outside look very promising and the beans and tomatoes in the green house are so not bad either.
A weld on the front axel of the lawnmower broke. By time I had it fixed we were a week and a half further and cutting the grass was like haying. A number of days in a row we had to go at it for hours to get it back into shape. Not that Ian minds. He likes the opportunity to ride around and he is getting very good at it.
Last Monday I took a group of potential student leaders to Prince George to hear a presentation by Craig Kielburger. We left after 1 p.m. to make the four hour trip there. The presentation was inspiring for the students in that it showed them that you can make a difference in the world if you understand the cause you need to pursue and what gifts you have received to pursue it. We came back Tuesday morning at 2:00 a.m. I rolled into bed by 2:30.
On Thursday afternoon we had to evacuate the school when a minor electrical fire brought some smoke into the school basement rooms. All was well in the end. The students were out of the building really quickly and efficiently. We had no school on Friday. Tomorrow the middle school classes will still be out because their side of the building is out of power. Hopefully by Tuesday all power will be restored.
Saturday I spent nearly six hours on the golf course. Now there's something new. Having never played golf in my life I was challenged to participate in the annual golf tournament fundraiser for our school. It was a fantastically beautiful day. The golf course has amazing scenery and breathtaking views of the mountain. The tournament set-up matched pro players and amateurs, such as myself , in teams of four. I ended up with my colleagues Klaas Kort and PE instructor Ron VanDriel. After each player had a turn hitting the ball we would move to the best placement of the four and all go from there. That took much of the pressure off and gave opportunity to learn from the pros. Klaas and I indeed learned a lot during the 18 holes we played. It wasn't bad at all. I might want to take a try at it again sometime, maybe when Tim is here. The day ended with a nice dinner.
I started construction of the dog run. The idea is that by winter time there will be a good section that is roofed over and shielded from wind by fence sections. The rest will have chainlink fencing around posts.
Two weeks of classes left. It is going to be a busy week for every one. In addition, we expect machines on the yard to dig away the dirt from the areas where the concrete slab needs to go for the garage. We have the various subtrades lined up. Now we hope for quick action.
Wednesday will be Wilma's birthday. She will leave that night to attend Amy's graduation on Friday morning.
1 comment:
Looks like it's been lovely there lately!
I cooked up the first batch of rhubarb on Friday... but Mom's is bigger than mine was when I cut it!
The cherry and apple blossoms are great! Saturdays end up being half or whole yard days, don't they?
Post a Comment