Sunday, September 20, 2009

Real September

Wilma just poured some.
Actually, that was yesterday, but it makes a nice intro.
We had a fantastically busy week. A good week, though. We are all settling into good working routines. Since it rained much we couldn't achieve much outside anyway, even if we had time for it.
Wilma's work seems to be getting past the first hectic time of establishing programs of study and sending of resources. This is good. She has ambitiously and enthusiastically taken on a lot of students this year and she seems to thrive on it.
Ian finds himself in grade 9 classes with quite a bit of work. He loves it. He does his janitorial work after school a couple of days a week and signed up for the volleyball and the soccer team. His volleyball coach is, in his own word: "really good, he's brutal" The first practice made him dead tired and sore for days, but he happily went back to the next practice. Someone told me that 'if you can survive that coach you can survive the army." Ian is okay with that.
I've been busy in school with lots of organizational matters, meetings with new parents and students and with prospective ones, meetings of the Ed Committee and the Board, some discipline matters, etc. The routine is developing well though.
Students and staff are getting used to the changes resulting from the restructuring. There is a sense of contentment, a good spirit that makes school a good lace to be.
On Friday my colleague at the Elementary campus and myself had opportunity to travel to VanderHoof for a Northern Christian Schools Principals conference. That was a very encouraging day of learning and networking.
This Friday we will have the Minister of Education from Victoria for a visit. We are looking forward to that.
Yesterday was a cool day with little rain, a great day to get things done around the house. Ian and I collected and stacked firewood for next year. Those are the bucked up logs from the trees that were felled last week.
Then I started work on the awnings of the workshop, nearest to the house. That is the only part that I feel still needs finishing before winter. I got soffits nailed up and the vertical beam in place. It was a bit of a job to measure out and cut the horizontal beams but they are done. Wilma hopes to have time to stain them early this week so that I can put them up. Then hopefully by Saturday I can finish the hardy board. It will be great to get that part done.
This morning I went for a great early morning walk. The air is cool, cold actually. It was the first time I put on my winter coat. The river was beautiful with the early sun catching the fog off the water. This really is a beautiful place to live.
This morning after church we saw our neighbour standing by a tree just near the slough. His dog had just chased a black bear up the tree. We hung around for a while but the thing just sat there, huffing and puffing once in a while.
As long as he doesn't come after our apples we're good. Even then Sabre is likely to give him some fierce opposition.

No comments: