Spring Break
Spring break is here and the weather is changing.
Last week the thaw started in earnest and throughout the week a good bit of snow has been melting. We have a long ways to go but it is great to experience some sunny days above freezing point.We have had five moose hanging around in the neighbourhood. They are feeding off the shrubs and trees. They mostly travel in pairs. You can tell by the noise of the dogs in the area whereabouts the moose are. The dogs are smart enough to keep a safe distance from their formidable legs and hooves, but stupid enough to keep chasing them and barking up a storm. Twice Sabre was kicking up a fuss in the middle of the night. Looking out the window we saw two moose standing right by our back door in front of the garage, looking at the dog as if they were wondering what his problem was.
In this video clip the moose are helping themselves from the compost pile. I guess that's better than eating all the young branches off our fruit trees.
We were happy to host Heres Snijder for a few days. He was here to make presentations for the school society and for students on issues surrounding bullying. It was great to have some time to catch up with each other. It is really amazing to notice how quickly time moves on and how many things have happened in our lives during the last few years.
The last weeks of work have been intense. Report cards went out on Friday. Decisions were made and announced regarding the reduction in support staff for next year. These are not good times for some colleagues and consequently we are all affected.
Our school community also experienced the shock of sudden illness of one of our students. Noah is in grade 5. His mom is one of the educational assistants at the secondary campus, his dad teaches at the elementary.
It is often questions around health and employment that drive us back to the realization of our fragile nature. We are so limited in what we can control in our lives and so easily things can happen that suddenly turn our worlds upside down.
I shared with staff the observation that living by faith really means that we commit to a hope and confidence that says: 'and yet, in spite of what I see or experience, I will trust that God controls all things and will work out everything according to His good purpose.' That is no easy conclusion for a mom who must tell her little son to take the medication that makes him feel deadly sick. That's no logical conclusion for a secretary who just loses her job after over 30 years of service. And yet, that's what God says He can use to do ulitimate good and bring ultimate blessing. On this side of eternity we find it so hard to take the Father's hand and just trust Him without the need to know, and understand, and control.
I'm talking to myself here, just as much as I'm reflecting on the situation of others. And in talking with family and friends it strikes me how much we all dwell on this question because we experience uncertainties and crossroads in our lives.
One thing I'm learning, again, [thick sculled, memory impaired as I am] is the necessity and joy of prayer. Getting close to the Father in conversation always lifts a part off the weight and enters a little more light in the dark shadows.
So, we are really glad to have two weeks of holidays.
We are eager for a road trip. Ian and I are often saying that we should just hit the road and go places. Not that we have cabin fever, but it is just time to get out and experience distance and space and time away. Tomorrow morning early it will happen. We hope to get to Kelowna by evening. Then Langley, Burnaby, and Chilliwack in the days following. Too bad we can't include Ottawa as well.
If all goes well we should be back home a week later.
Note: I have removed the log-in for reading this blog. It appeared it continued to be an obstacle for some to get access. Having the blog out on the web makes it generally accessible. I guess that's okay but I better watch what I say. As long as this URL doesn't get shared all over I'm fine.
1 comment:
So good to hear from your again. Love the photos, and the painting. I have happy memories of visiting last year, or was it the year before already? Time flies. We're enjoying Spring Break, but I don't have enough hours left to do marking and lesson prep for some new units. Familiar teacher's dilemma. Take care!
Post a Comment